Electrical problems can be extremely dangerous, especially in homes with young children. Many home fires start because of faulty electrical wiring. In addition, electrical repairs can be costly. However, many people ignore the warning signs of electrical problems until it is too late and a significant amount of damage has been done. In order to avoid such damage, it is important to be able to recognize the early signs of electrical problems. Here are a few things to watch out for in order to avoid issues with your electrical system.

Flickering Lights

Do your lights flicker when you first turn them on or when you turn them off? Do they make small crackling noises. Do your main lights flicker when you turn on an appliance that uses a lot of electricity? These things may not seem like a big deal, but they can indicate old or shoddy electrical wiring, which can be hazardous if left unchecked.

Heated Outlets and Fixture

Are your outlets hot after you use them? Do they get hotter when you plug in appliances that use more electricity? Do your fixtures become heated on the outside with continual use? All of these things are signs of problems with your wiring.

Issues with Your Circuit Breaker

If your circuit breaker is constantly tripping and blowing fuses, this is probably a symptom of a deeper electrical problem. Contact a local electrical repair service professional as soon as possible.

Outlet Sparks

This sign is perhaps the most obvious, but people still ignore it. One small spark may not be anything to worry about, but frequent sparks from an outlet indicate a problem that needs to be dealt with. This is generally a problem in older circuits, where the connections have loosened. Loosened connections increase the chance of an electrical fire and can be dangerous. If you notice continual outlet sparks, find an electrician to come out and repair your outlets.

Watching out for these signs can help you avoid the dangers associated with electrical malfunctions. An important thing to note is that trying to repair electrical problems on your own can be extremely dangerous. If you are trying to prepare a water pipe and it bursts, you may have flooding damage, but you should be fine. However, if you are trying to repair an electrical circuit and you are shocked, it could result in injury or even death in some cases. So unless you have been trained, contact a professional to deal with these problems.