Common Reasons for Drain Blockages
It's never fun coming home to a flooded laundry room because of a clogged drain, or taking a bath and then noticing that the tub isn't emptying. Clogged or blocked drain pipes can create quite the headache for any homeowner, and getting to the bottom of the problem can take some time. At Dipple Plumbing, our Greenville plumbers understand how to unclog your plumbing systems and get everything flowing as it should. In this post, we'll look at some common drain clog causes and what you can do to avoid them.
A few of the most common reasons drains get clogged include:
- Food blockages - Food can end up clogging your drain if you put food in your garbage disposal that is meant to be thrown away instead. Avoid putting eggshells, starchy foods, or fibrous veggies down your dink drain.
- Grease, fat, or oil buildup - Grease blockages happen most often in kitchen drains, and it's important to make sure no grease or cooking oil is put into the sink. If it finds its way into the drain, grease can build up on the sides of the pipe, creating a serious clog that will require professional attention.
- Clumps of hair - Hair is often the main culprit in bathroom and shower drain clogs. When there's soap or shampoo residue, there can be a greater chance for a blockage to form. Placing a hair-catching screen or filter over your shower or tub drain can help you eliminate the risk of a clog, and it's important to check your drain regularly for any obstructions!
- Other paper products apart from toilet paper - Toilet paper is designed to dissolve in water, and that's why it should be the only paper product that is flushed. Other things such as paper towels or facial tissues can create problems once they make their way down the toilet drain, and the last thing you want is for one of your toilets to back up and overflow.
- Non-flushable items - Avoid flushing feminine hygeine products or "flushable" wipes down your drain. Cigarette butts are another common cause of clogged drains and should never be flushed.
Drain Cleaning Benefits
Drain cleaning can offer you and your family a number of amazing benefits that create a cleaner and healthier atmosphere for your home. Below we list a couple of the best benefits that come with professional drain cleaning services in Greenville, SC.
- A More Hygienic Home: The most important thing about drain cleaning services is it provides you and your family with a healthier and more hygienic home for you to live in. Professional drain cleaning services can help to get rid of drain flies and mold or mildew that is sitting in your home's drains. Drain flies can make their way into your homes and carry bacteria, while mold and mildew can pose serious health risks if not cleaned.
- A Decreased Water Bill: If you have an undetected water leak in your pipes, this could be the reason behind your expensive water bill. With professional drain cleaning services, a plumbing professional will be able to inspect your home's pipes for you and detect whether or not there are any leaks. We can help repair any water leaks immediately, so that you can save time and money in the long run.
How To Avoid The Need For Drain Cleaning
1. Consider a lint trap - When our washing machine is finished washing our clothes, the dirt and debris don't just disappear. They'll get sucked into the drain line and head to your sewer line but without a lint-trap blockages in the drain line are just a matter of time.
2. Put a food stopper on your kitchen sink that doesn't have a garbage disposal - If your kitchen sink is without a garbage disposal or a food stopper then you'll need the services of our Greenville drain cleaning specialists soon enough.
3. Throw the following food items away in the trash - Coffee grounds, egg shells, chicken bones, rice, pasta and celery can all wreak havoc on your garbage disposal in a variety of ways. Because of that, do yourself a favor and discard of them in your trash can.
4. Rinse your drains once a month - It might seem easy to simply never clean your drains, but it will demands the attention of our Greenville drain cleaning experts. Best practices are to wash your drains with a combination of warm water and vinegar. For your garbage disposal, put some ice cubes in and turn it on for a few seconds.
Call Dipple Plumbing, Electrical, Heating & Air at (864) 319-3220 today to schedule your drain cleaning in Greenville or surrounding areas!
If you suspect a problem with one of your drains, our professional Greenville drain cleaning technicians can help. No matter what type of drain is clogged or the severity of the issue, we can find a solution. At Dipple Plumbing, Electrical, Heating & Air, our process is based on years of training and experience and involves the careful examination, determination, and elimination of clogs. If during this inspection we spot any bigger issues, we can also recommend how to handle them.
Call today or contact us online to schedule a drain cleaning service in Greenville!