Your home’s electrical system is essential to maintaining properly functioning appliances, from HVAC systems to televisions. It’s common knowledge that older homes often require rewiring; their systems are often incapable of keeping up with modern electrical draw and usage, however, even more recently built homes may need electrical upgrades. Your home may not need a full rewiring, but it may need an electrical panel upgrade. The electrical panel channels electricity from your utility provider to your home, making it an integral part of your home’s electric network. How do you know if your home needs some electrical upgrades?
- Flickering lights: flickering lights are a sign that your home’s electrical panel is unable to cope with the amount of power needed to power your electronics.
- Ungrounded outlets: older electrical systems did not have the same grounding technology we utilize today. Grounded outlets help direct electricity, prevents damage from electrical surges, and minimizes the risk of electrocution.
- Constantly flipping breakers: If running your electronics has you constantly running to the breaker box, your system is unable to cope with the demand. It may be time to look into rewiring your home or replacing your electrical panel to keep up with the higher power demand of new electronics.
- Adding new outlets: If you’re running extension cords throughout your home or relying on surge protectors to give you the amount of outlets you need, you’ll want to upgrade your electrical panel. Extension cords are a fire hazard and relying on them to give you the number of outlets you need can be dangerous.
- Burning smell: If you smell something burning by an outlet or notice discoloration on the power outlet, it’s time to upgrade. This is a simple sign that your home’s electrical system is not equipped to provide you with enough electricity.
Upgrading your home’s electrical system requires know-how and experience. Don’t try to do it yourself; contact an electrical contractor today. We’re your go-to expert electrical contractors in Greenville. Contact us to schedule an appointment. Live outside of Greenville? Give us a call. We’re proud to serve upstate South Carolina.