What Causes Duct Damage?
When you think of things in your home that can become damaged, your air ducts are probably close to last on that list. After all, air ducts have one simple job: carry air around your Greenville home. As long as the air isn’t harsh in some way, it seems logical that ducts should last forever. However, damage can happen to nearly any duct system over time. Whether by natural causes, simple aging, or through outside forces, damage can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and some of it is more difficult to avoid than others.
Some common causes of duct damage include:
- High humidity levels or water vapor levels in air passed through ducts, causing corrosion
- Rodent or pest damage
- Collapsed sections from impact or age
- Holes from too much air pressure
- Mold & mildew rot
Many types of air ducts can be successfully patched in order to seal the problem and keep your ducts working smoothly. Patching can be a somewhat complex process to do right, as you want to make sure your duct is completely sealed and won’t leak any additional air anytime soon. However, some types of damage are so large that it’s more worthwhile to simply replace that part of your duct segment outright. Replacing your ducts can be an expensive endeavor, but it may be the better decision based on the damage done.
Signs You Need Duct Cleaning
1. Poor indoor air quality - If you're noticing an uptick in dust sprinkled around your home's furniture or air, then consult our Greenville duct cleaning specialists. Your HVAC units might be spreading dust into your duct work which in turn will pump it around your home if you don't have your ducts cleaned every once in a while.
2. Dust on your air vents - A good place to observe to see if you need duct cleaning is your air vents. If they look like they could use a cleaning, then it's probable that your ducts are dirty as well. Open up the vents and take a look yourself.
3. Less airflow - If you're not getting the same level of airflow that you're used to, consider your ducts. It could be that you have a leak or perhaps there's some dust and debris in the way that's blocking your airflow that needs to be cleaned out.
4. Strange sounds or smells - You never know what critters might get into your duct work and what noises they may make. Also, as AC units cool air with condensation you might get excess moisture and mold and mildew growth as a result.
5. Decrease in HVAC performance - If you're not getting the same indoor air comfort experience and your units are okay, consider your duct work. Should you have any doubts, consult our Greenville duct cleaning specialists about getting your ducts in working order to properly heat or cool your home.
Greenville Air Filtration, Cleaning & Purification Systems
Although duct cleaning helps to remove pollutants, it cannot remove 100% of them. If you have begun to notice respiratory issues or allergic reactions as a result of spending time indoors, you may need to consider installing an air filtration, cleaning, or purification system. Each of these systems, when properly installed, work to reduce contaminants in the air you breathe. We can help you determine which one is appropriate for your home or business.
A few benefits of installing one of these systems include:
- Reduced energy costs
- Increased HVAC system efficiency
- Improved respiratory conditions/allergies
Benefits of Humidification Control in Greenville
Regardless of the thermostat temperature you set, indoor humidity can often fall above or below the optimal range. If you are constantly uncomfortable or find that your skin or eyes are often dry, you may need to invest in humidity control. There are unfortunately discomforts that come with both ends of the scale or too much and too little humidity level.
The goal is to use whole-home systems to control the level of humidity in your home. This can help to lower your energy costs, reduce physical symptoms of poor humidity levels, and improve your HVAC system's efficiency.
Call today or contact us online to request an estimate for air duct installation in Greenville!
At Dipple Plumbing, Electrical, Heating & Air, we offer a wide range of air duct services in Greenville, including air duct repair and replacement. We want to keep your ducts working well, and we carefully go through and find damaged ducts so your HVAC equipment will work better than ever before!
We are thorough in our services and carefully inspect your duct network for damage that could lead to heat loss and inefficiency that sucks money out of your pocket. When you trust your duct network to us, you can be confident that we’re going to find the damage to your system and then recommend the best possible fix that solves your issue and saves you money!